 Off-Topic / Debate / 13911
13910  |  13912
Subject:
Cheating (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:13:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
Horst Lehner wrote:

So, you think it would be OK to ...

... send someone else to a college test instead of showing up personally?

this is a major problem at the university that I attend.  Last year when
I was a teaching assistant for a large intro class, we had the following
protocol for preventing cheating in this form:

1.  students may only enter from the back/top entrance of the lecture
hall.
2.  student id is checked (no driver's license or whatever) at this
door.
3.  student takes test with id face up on the desk.
4.  student shows id to professor on exit to the front entrance.

Some combonations of two of these was tried previously, but students
always found a way around them.

How I wish it was true that cheaters never win...

The way to combat this is to not check for cheating at all during the courses
of study.  When it comes time to graduate, put the student through a three-day
comprehensive essay exam (during which you do verify identification) and if
their performance doesn't stand up, then they don't get the degree.

But really, who cares if they cheat?  In the long run they're only hurting
themselves, and if they don't care, why would you?

And, further, the only people who should be in college classes, are the ones
who want to be there.  If the topic isn't significant enough to the pupil that
their own internal motivation convinces them to study, then why have them there
at all?  These are all symptomatic of a broken system in which everyone who
graduates from high school is expected to go to college whether they need a
broad education or not.

Chris (the other one)