 Off-Topic / Debate / 13906
13905  |  13907
Subject:
Standard of debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:14:44 GMT

Standard of debate

I will be the first to admit that at times the standard of debate around
here is very poor. My own personal dislike is subjectivity dressed up as
objectivity. Others point out that the petty name calling is childish – I
agree, but am not claiming to be innocent(!). I know that not all come here
for “debate” – some come for entertainment.

In that last few days I have felt that the standard of debate has dropped by
at least a magnitude.  If we quickly look at what debate means, we get this:
“serious discussion of a subject in which many people take part ”.
Normally, we would expect participants to counter a stance using precedence,
history or even political theory. At times very difficult questions are
asked here. At times some of us find it difficult to answer some questions
(myself included). That is the nature of debate.

Over the past days, two debate methods have been used which have concerned me:

1) I feel that my views/opinion have been misrepresented.
2) I have been accused of including lies in my debate posts.

The former of these is simple to deal with, and, although I am concerned, I
think it is controllable. I view the latter as much more serious. If it
becomes acceptable to counter an argument by calling it “lies”, without
being willing to provide basis, then debate here will be 100% useless.
Within that context, I hope that this post is answered soon:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=13823

This post is not a hope to score a cheap point, but a request that we
maintain at least this minimum standard of “debate”. If it can be shown that
I have lied, I will apologise.

I admit that my opinions are not everyone’s. I admit that I can be wrong.
But I do not knowingly lie.

Scott A