 Off-Topic / Debate / 13810
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:51:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
What I thought was MOST ironic about this bailout was Midway, a carrier who
was bankrupt, in receivership, and not even flying at *all* on 911, having
the audacity to say "this bailout means we can return to service"...

Actually, they were flying up to 9-11. They just decided as soon as the
grounding occurred and it became clear that it was going to be more than
just the rest of the day or so, that it wasn't worth trying to continue
when they would lose so much money that they couldn't afford to lose
during the grounding period.

Not saying that it's right that they got money, though they probably
deserve it nearly as much as any of the other airlines.

One thing I'd like to explore a bit was the appropriateness of the
flying ban. I suspect it was appropriate given our current climate. In a
true free market, I'm not so sure, probably not. Of course in a true
free market, most airports probably would have closed, at least to
traffic from large aircraft (I'm not sure what was gained by grounding
small private aviation). Air traffic control would probably also have
pushed for aircraft to land. The various regional defense forces would
have put out alerts: "Don't even think of flying near a city with tall
buildings."

Frank