 Off-Topic / Debate / 13776
Re: Freedom vs. Wellfare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

Also, since you value your freedom to earn money, and use it the way you
decide, so highly, isn't it also true that you earn it from an environment
that does not grant everybody the same chance to do the same? And if so, are
you advocating the survival of only those people who happen to be more
intelligent and more lucky than others? In the light of these arguments, do
you really believe that a 100% free market society will be just to everyone?

I hope you don't find those questions annoying. I am learning a lot about
you as my friend, and the US in general by reading the answers. Of course, I
also welcome comments from others on the issue. If this turns out to be
something exclusively between Larry and me, we should probably move it to
email ...

Greetings

Horst

Please don't move it to email, Horst.  Your contributions have been
extremely well thought out and useful and you are now getting to a point
that I have been looking for a reasonable way to raise to hear Larry's
'total free market' view on.  That is the issue of how wealth is created
from the environment, be it the favourable climatic conditions or the
presence of natural resources, which are not available to all equally.
There is no market mechanism by which these 'goods' are paid for and I do
not believe there can be (How can you value the use of a resource now when
you do not know what uses we may find for it in future or how long human
civilization will last).  This is where the 'total free market' falls down
in my opinion and it is necessary to realise that any solution is
sub-optimal, from that realization should come a policy of maximising human
happiness for all humans including those who are yet to be born and from
this cascades all the non-free market thinking that Larry opposes.  Do you
agree?

I couldn't think of a good re-name for this, if it takes off I think it
needs one though.

Psi