 Off-Topic / Debate / 13757
Re: ScottFroth(tm) answered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:47:05 GMT

The largest fault of Larry's is probably his occasionally quick-to-judge
attitude towards points he feels he's already addressed. Sometimes Scott
(for example) will have a perfectly valid point and Larry will gloss over it
calling it a non-issue without giving it a 2nd thought. It doesn't happen
often, but it happens.

I'd disagree on this one.  I'd say his largest fault is his tendency to
attack a person's stature rather than defend his position or respond to
theirs.  The title of this sub-thread is a case in point.  He has done the
same to others and me.

He's also got an ego. He treads on ground confident that he's done the best
possible job of defending it that there can ever be, which often isn't the
case. However, he does have reason to think so. As far as debating goes,
there aren't many who can get Larry to the itchy point. Most of his
convictions stand firm and can be well backed up.

------------------

When he chooses to back them up.  All too often he will make a claim and,
when asked to cite the source, say something to the effect of when he gets
around to it, he'll post a link to his source, if he has time.  However, he
has no problem demanding that anyone else cite their source(s) and insisting
that they are wrong until they do.  A clear double standard.  In essence,
Larry, please review the "Golden Rule"

And to all of you, re-examine your position when it's been challenged. The
typical response to a challenge is to defend it all the more instead of
re-examining it. You shouldn't need others to *force* you to that point,
unless you actually can't do it yourself.

Great advice.

Of course, this is all just me talking from the sidelines. I haven't read
everything, and if I had, I'm sure I'd still have my own warped view of things.

$.02,
DaveE

Raising the stakes to $.04.