 Off-Topic / Debate / 13754
Re: ScottFroth(tm) answered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:05:54 GMT

(snipped)

Larry

Debating skill: 9
Cluelessness: 2
Stubbornness: 6
Openness: 7
Humility: 2
Annoying: 6

Notes:
Larry seems to usually have a good grip on what his position is, and is able
to back up his point sufficiently well. When he doesn't have a firm grip on
his position, he's occasionally been known to fluctuate, and typically
doesn't back his position up well-- only because these times are when basic
philosophic principles are at stake. The bonus to Larry is that he is fairly
open to changing his mind-- it just doesn't happen much if at all.

The largest fault of Larry's is probably his occasionally quick-to-judge
attitude towards points he feels he's already addressed. Sometimes Scott
(for example) will have a perfectly valid point and Larry will gloss over it
calling it a non-issue without giving it a 2nd thought. It doesn't happen
often, but it happens.

He's also got an ego. He treads on ground confident that he's done the best
possible job of defending it that there can ever be, which often isn't the
case. However, he does have reason to think so. As far as debating goes,
there aren't many who can get Larry to the itchy point. Most of his
convictions stand firm and can be well backed up.

------------------

Scott

Debating skill: 4
Cluelessness: 3
Stubbornness: 9
Openness: 4
Humility: 5
Annoying: 8

Notes:
Scott's generally got some work to do on debating form. This is quite
possibly his largest issue. He seems to take o-t-debate as a very fast-paced
forum, paying little time towards each reply. Replies are often quickly put
out, with little organization or thought involved. They do not seem to
follow the general debating format wherein one would state one's
assumptions, the problems with the proposed theory, then propose a new
theory, admitting any weaknesses it had.

But don't assume too quickly. Scott often has a point, even though it's not
stated well. It's merely that he doesn't put the time/effort into voicing
it. When forced (upon occasion), Scott has proven that he is fully capable
of being less clueless, more open, and more insightful.

He also suffers from stubbornness. He doesn't let an issue drop very easily,
and often prods and prods and prods until a response is given. Further, when
cornered, he doesn't like admitting his faults. The one upshot to Scott over
Larry is that Scott is typically less assuming of his own position being
"right". You'll seldom hear Scott defending his own stance, and more often
hear him attacking others'.

(snipped)

ROTFL!
They were almost reduced to the status of "Pokemon" playing cards!

Anyway, I do not know these two guys long enough to make such a deep
analysis of their debating skills, so I won't. However, I partially agree
with you due to what I have been offered to see in the last six months.

To *those two*: Peace and Love, dudes! Chill out, you are not THAT different...
;-)

Pedro