 Off-Topic / Debate / 13750
Re: More on Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:56:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
For a moment, I couldn't tell whether I was reading something from the
National Review or the World Zionist Org's website. What a bunch of hogwash.
At least it was worth a good laugh.

Here's some more for you to laugh at (and others to think about).

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-plaut101001.shtml

My main problem with the Bush administration's handling of this crisis is the
lack of clear, tangible objectives that have been communicated.  There's been
too
much rhetoric issued from the White House.  A War to eradicate Terror is just
another War on Drugs - an impossible, wasted effort.  Our primary goal should be
to break the backs, and the spirit of known terrorist cells, and then establish
a pervasive intelligence network.  However...this columnist makes some very good
points.  I'm very sympathetic toward the common Palestinian's grievances, but I
think that the PLO is no better (just less clever) than Al Quaida (spelling?)
However, again...our Middle Eastern foreign policy over the past 25+ years has
been a jumble of wily-nily half-efforts without any unified strategy or
philosophy.  We have to tread lightly in the Israeli-Palestinian affair (and I
offer no solutions - I leave that to better minds than my own.)  I fear the
consequences  to world stability were we to deal with the PLO as we are with the
Taliban (as the columnist would have us do. )

Anyway, I think that the Taliban's grievances toward the U.S. are primarily
philosophical (the abominiation of our troops in Saudi, U.S. support of an
assumed corrupt Saudi royal family, etc., etc.) than actual - i.e., the PLO's
grievance toward U.S. support of Israel (be that support wrong or
right, I personally do not know.)

james