 Off-Topic / Debate / 13472
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:27:45 GMT

Maybe the card itself is not a civil rights violations, but the many
activities for which they will use such a thing are.  First, if I'm required
to disply my shiny new Federal ID, I consider it unreasonable search.

  I'm missing something in this--do you mean if you're required to display
it (wearing it on your lapel) or produce it on command (hey you, show me
your ID)?  Either would be objectionable, I agree, but I'm curious about
which you meant specifically.

I think of the right to travel anonymously as a fundamental.  Further, I
don't want the federal government tracking my consumer habits through a
requirement to use this card for some or all purchases.

  Aside from barter and cash transactions, of course, purchases can be
fairly easily tracked already--the implementation of a new card wouldn't
appreciably change that, and it would still presumably be a recognized
violation of the 4th to use that info against a citizen.

This whole idea makes me very edgy.

  Just wait until they start implanting chips in newborns!

     Dave!