 Off-Topic / Debate / 13463
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:09:04 GMT

The punisher is not at fault for punishing criminals if the criminals • suffer.

...only if the punishment is just.

There's no such thing.  The punisher is at fault, in my opinon (but it can • only
_be_ opinion...there is no right answer here) for inflicting suffering only • if
the suffering could be avoided and the rights of the protected citizenry • still
maintained.  Suffering above the minimum needed to keep The People safe is
evil.

I agree with you to very large extent. But when one is faced with grieving
relatives it is very difficult to argue against the retribution argument.

Tough.  I'd do it.  We must be better than that.

On
a macro scale this was what was happening in the US in the days after the
11th; a lot of people wanting revenge and those shouting them down were
viewed as “unpatriotic”.

I agree.  I think I was nearly assaulted at work when an argument became heated
and when I was called unamerican, I responded that they (the people who think
we should kill them all (and give up our rights in the process)) were the ones
who were anti-american and didn't even understand that which makes the US
great.

Some folk don’t understand the difference between
patriotism and  jingoism… and that is just my opinion.

I find myself in the queer position of agreeing with you completely.

It is a shame that anger clouds judgement.

Chris