 Off-Topic / Debate / 13350
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:24:44 GMT

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3BB9D390.345B@mindspring.com...
Scott A wrote:
Not at all.  If one makes mistakes (and we all have), must one feel bound to
continue making those same mistakes just because they once did?

Why not fix the mistakes 1st, before starting a new mess?

Because one can't afford to fix every mistake one has ever made. Do you
think the UK should fix all of the mistakes it made with it's
colonialism? Who is going to fix the mistakes the Romans made with their
colonialism (after all, some of our modern troubles do derive from those
mistakes)? Who's going to fix the mistakes that prehistoric man almost
certainly made that we have very little idea about, but which certainly
had ramifications still being felt today?

Perhaps not.

But this doesn't stop folk in Ireland, and the world over, believing that the British should return land that was taken
a long time ago. Nor people the world over still harboring grudges against the UK's collonial past.

Or Aboriginies in Australia demanding their land back centuries after it was taken, and the Australians facing up to the
fact they will likely have to do something about it.

These and many issues the world over are the results of actions taken centuries ago, but which are kept very much alive
by the current generation, and will continue to for generations more.

Lets face it, the whole Jewish/Palistinian things goes back millennia, yet folks are still keeping that debate very much
alive and looking for resolution.

And the 'mistake' in question in this thread is only a decade ago.

Perhaps you can't affort to fix every mistake one has ever made. But you start by acknowledging them and recognising
that they are the source of continuing grievances. Just ignoring them because they are too hard to fix (or just to save
face), doesn't make them go away

lawrence