 Off-Topic / Debate / 13247
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKBx4v.AL2@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GKB7Hq.1wt@lugnet.com...

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?ac=006068940062214&rtmo=qKxJMMX9&atmo=ggg
ggggK&pg=/01/9/23/dl01.html

Daily Telegraph = Right Wing Rag. I prefer independent news:
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/newsid_35000/35065.stm

LOL
Surely BBC=Left Wing Rag?

Ah ha! I have smoked out a daily Telegraph reader (most things are left wing
to them)! ;-)

Is it possible to find an 'independent' source of news?
I guess independent could imply unbiased, as opposed to indepenent of anything else.
But doesn't unbiased just mean unopinionated, middle of the road.

The Independent seems relatively independent though. Not a bad read.
Having said that the ONLY paper we ever buy is the Daily Mail on Saturday, purely because my wife prefers their weekly
TV pullout to the rest. However, the newspaper itself is a good laugh. Definitely unbiased - not.

And actually, the BBC is not that bad for news (I did watch Question Time the week of the attack)

I was a little bemused at the response to that. QT audiences are usually
selected to represent UK political opinion. If the BBC did do that, they can
hardly complain at the outcome! I agreed with a good deal of what was said –
I just did not like the tone 100% of the time.

As for news independence, I think it is easy for any one report to be
ill-informed are appear biased. But over time independence of any source
should be possible. The great thing about the BBC News is that they only
have a remit to report news – not maintain commercial income.

Scott A

regards
lawrence