 Off-Topic / Debate / 13202
Re: Police Room 619
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the
oppressed."

  - Stephen Biko, 1946-1977

  I'm unsure of what the actual goal of this post is, though
  I like that people are reading Biko.  :D  Clarification?

Simply that today is the anniversary of Biko's funeral (his actual death was
the 13th of September, his admitted death somewhere between the two).

Biko's work, and his murder had a fairly profound effect on me, and I was
reminded of that today when I heard of the anniversary.  I'm not sure
there's anything to debate, but it doesn't really belong in o-t.fun. If it
does spawn any conversation, I suspect it will quickly turn into .debate
material, so I put it here to start.

The quote also seemed relevant to the current debate about restriction of
freedoms in the US.

James