 Off-Topic / Debate / 13008
  Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

NOT. (URL) one here really has remarked on this much, but Yahoo and Amazon are powering the donation machines behind the icons that a lot of sites (including the ones I control) are displaying. This org was mentioned in the President's speech just (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

(...) Congratulations people! I donated to Red Cross, which doesn't look like it's part of this organisation, but the more the better! However I think it's a bit of a leap to imply this proves Big bad greedy US capitalists are *not* exploiting the (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

(...) Thanks for posting this. I know there was some talk about a Lugnet community fund raiser type event, but it didn't get much response. I think at this time, people just want to straight out make an immediate donation. There's a celebrity (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

(...) How did you do that? Directly? Too bad. You *missed* the point. The point is that you cost the Red Cross more (as a percentage of your donation) if you donate directly than if you donate via Yahoo or Amazon or MSN... every donation takes some (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

(...) I think of it as costing *me* more - the Red Cross are happy for any amount. But you're right - it essentially means I deprived them of a small donation from yahoo (or whoever carries the cost of collecting the donations). ROSCO (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Big bad greedy US capitalists exploiting the world

(...) Well no, actually, they are in fact *not* happy for "any amount". If you physically mail them a penny, you're costing them *more* to process it than it's worth to them. Not costing you more, costing *them* more. Taking this example further, If (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)