 Off-Topic / Debate / 12562
Re: War ... Please read the following...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:13:34 GMT

In no way am I right or may have the right to write this, but when you watch
people in pain and know there isn't much you can do, all you can say is...
(the following is a request, nothing else, it's not to offend or blame
anyone at all)...

After watching/reading countless hours of TV/News/Newspapers and Internet
info, as another person on the other side of the world, it's hard to even
acknowledge what happened over the last 36+ hours.  I think as a Nation,
America knows what it needs to do (we will not all agree with it either, and
other nations will have some impact on their decision too, making it not all
just an American idea), not because of what happened to their buildings etc
but what happened to their people and other nations people too.

I think after watching all this, that a time like this needs to be avoided
in every way to start any debates (and this is not the start of one, may I
add) in any way or form, it's a plea for those who are suffering at the loss
of a loved one or a friend... and even to what's happened in their own country.

This is not the time for debates and nonsense remarks (I am also not saying
anyone is or has started these)... specially when no-one really knows what
is going to happen and how... remember their are a lot of flared up people
right now and people say lots of things, until all information is collected
people will continue to say and do certain things.

Being in a situation like this will make many people unhappy and their heads
filled with thoughts that first come to mind.  Being Australian I too feel
terrible for those who lost their lives and the basic principle that such a
thing could happen.  After all there were lots of Australians and many other
nations whose own people were victims or witnesses (in which case our
country and others will give full support on many issues).

Please let things cool off for a moment, watch the news, read the facts (the
more realistic ones if possible) and follow with what is going on, everyone
will have a opinion about this and that, and it will never satisfy
everyone's needs, no matter what you say.  I also feel this too maybe too
upsetting for some, and I am sorry, but this is to those who feel some or
any sort of debate or plan to mention anything that will obviously tick the
wrong person, a emotional or someone with some connection to anyone or
themselves as a victim etc.

As I said, being in a country so far away can possibly sit back and watch
what is happening to those going through this and some of you may not in the
same sense, everyone is mad and all over the place, that is understandable
and must be remembered, even in my case in which I do.  Being there in
America would give anyone else a different feeling, I guess you have to be
there to feel the true pain, it's all still so hard to believe.  It's there
and sadly could have been anyone of you.  I hope no-one from Lugnet has
perished away due to this... sad enough anyone had to.

Anyway, please keep the debates away and anything that will only be
upsetting to others (I hope this isn't the first or near it), it only makes
people at a time like this madder and frustrated and more emotional (totally
understandable), to some it will be like water off a ducks back and their
day will return to normal, others a total loss and their worlds ripped apart
and may take a little longer.  And remember, what ever the government will
do, no-one can change that, not us that's for sure... we'll all have to wait
and see, remember that NATO etc is basically 100% behind this as is many
country's.  There could be more to this than we realise, we don't know
everything that has been going on just yet.  Only time can tell...

Let's all hope for the best, give our wishes to those who are victims and
those who survived, it's amazing they survived, lets hope their is more....
support those on Lugnet who are deeply affected by this!

I wish you all the very best and a quick recovery

Mel

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Let me just say that we, as Americans, should not be so sheepish to jump on
the war bandwagon. War against whom? How in Heaven's name will killing other
civilians ever make things better in the world? That is not justice, that is
revenge and no one has the right to condemn the citizenry for the sins of
it's government or leadership. The attack yesterday is proof of that, we
shouldn't make the same mistake and become "indiscriminate" murderers.

Yesterday morning I went to get my hair cut and the hairstylist was
commenting on the attack. I only said that I hope the people responsible
will be brought to justice. She said "They're all Iranian." Hopefully such
ignorant comments are few and far between. If we resort to such thinking we
are no better than those who carried out this attack, Arab or otherwise. It
is yet to be determined who carried out this attack (usually a group will
step forward and claim responsibility).

We should avoid stirring up hatred against Arabs. I recall the hours after
the Oklahoma City bombing and the immediate call to arms against certain
Arab nations, not considering that it may have been one of our own citizens.
At this point, we still don't know who is behind this. And if it turns out
the ethnicity of the attackers is Arab, it does not justify blanket hatred
of Arabs. We'd be no better than the Nazi's with regard to the Jews of Europe.

Regarding the scenes of Palestinians cheering after the attack, I have
learned that the footage shown (or several portions of the footage) was
possibly before the attack, and was the Palestinian reaction to Israeli
troops withdrawing from that town. Around the Arab world, the feeling is
mostly one of shock and outrage. If the Palestinian footage is indeed in
celebration of the attack, then such behavior is very disappointing. But I
want to remind everyone that the Palestinians are a people who have suffered
under brutal military occupation for nearly 50 years. Their cheers are
perhaps no different than our own when the bombs rained on Baghdad, even
though innocent civilians were being killed in both cases.

What happened yesterday was a murderous and destructive act of hatred
against our nation. But it should also be considered a wake up call to our
government for it's unarguable role in fostering aggression and hatred
around the world, and within our own borders as with Oklahoma City. The
innocent shouldn't be condemned and suffer and die for the sins of the
leadership. We should seriously examine why someone, or some group, would
feel compelled to carry out such a horrible act. There are several lessons
to be learned here, the main one is that killing innocent men, women and
children is wrong. Most important, let our comments rest on peace and
justice, not war and revenge.

  Well said, although I can't agree with the timing of bringing up
  the last two paragraphs--it's still far too emotional a time to
  start dragging the political roots of terrorism into it.  But I
  agree 100% with the first part of this *and* its timing--here in
  NJ I've been hearing about a LOT of heckling, spitting, and general
  hostility directed at Arabs in general and even American Muslims
  in particular.  Let's find and punish the guilty and show that
  even in our deepest pain and anger, we're better and stronger people
  than the terrorists.  Hate is the weapon of the weak.

  Let's deal with this shock, horror, and anger first, and then
  look rationally at the roots of it all.  And, of course, remember
  that evil never justifies evil in response.  Whoever quoted Gandhi
  was right on the mark.  I hope that the world will show the wisdom
  of Gandhi today.

  all best

  LFB