 Off-Topic / Debate / 12532
Re: Terrorist Attacks on America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:10:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
Ross Crawford wrote:
And maybe there'll be a few million more innocent people killed before • everyone
suddenly realises it hasn't made any difference. Is terrorism OK when
sanctioned by GWB? You really think it will stop others retaliating?

I don't coun't an attack on terrorists as terrorism.

Why not?

can you really compare an attack on a terrorist training camp to an attack
on civilians?

Yes, I can. They're all people, even if they may be somewhat mis-guided.

When people fight wars they kill people. It's very sad, especially when you
consider that most of these people don't consider themselves 'evil' but are
convinced that they are right (it's possible that they were 'mis-guided' by
their leaders).
When someone tries to kill me I don't care if he's misguided or not. It's just
a question of me or him. If I could destroy a camp of misguided 'terrorist
training camp' and by that save the tens of thousands killed in NY I would do
that without hesitation.
I wouldn't be glad to do that but it's still the right thing to do.

Trouble is, Bush seems to be saying he wants to retaliate against anyone who
harbours terrorists. And how do they decide who are the terrorists and who's
helping them? Answer: They make an informed guess. They don't mind if they • make
a few mistakes, thats just "collateral damage". But to the people targetted,
it's murdering innocent people, just like the WTC. And if the US can • retaliate,
why shouldn't they?

When you're fighting a war you can't afford to bring everyone to trial.
It's simply not possible. The result will be the death of tens of thousands
of people.
You have to fight to the best you can, you must not hurt innocent people just
in spite, but you must accept that when you are fighting a hard battle
mistakes can happen. You must try to minimize them but you can't shy away from
the whole thing just because they might happen. You simply can not afford to
do nothing. The result of doing nothing would be much worse.

- David

You are right though, retaliating won't stop terrorism, it would just make
it harder.

How do you figure that????

That's a good thing though.  But increased security can help prevent such
things from happening, and that's something even the pacificists can agree • on.

Now you've changed the discussion to "increased security"? Where did that • come
from? I didn't hear anything about that in Bush's speeches.

ROSCO