 Off-Topic / Debate / 12431
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:51:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shaun Sullivan writes:
[snip]

We are
all aware of China's human rights violations, and we're all aware of the
UK's troubles in Ireland.  For that matter, the grenade-tossing incident
stems from centuries-old Catholic/Protestant friction and is, as I
understand it, largely independent of British occupation.

Hi Dave,

The above comment really caught me by surprise - I've never before heard of any
theory or perspective that could justifiably separate the Catholic/Protestant
friction in Northern Ireland from the British presence there.  The two elements
have always been inextricably linked, and trying to consider one on its own
merits without the context of the other one seems rather ... well, impossible.
But before I go off on a rant, I figured it might be wise to get some
clarification first ...

I might be misreading what you wrote - it seems that you're saying that the
incident in question was precipitated primarily by religious tensions, but that
the British influence/presence in Northern Ireland was not a contributing or
related factor?

If that is indeed what you're saying, would you mind elaborating?  I'd be very
interested in hearing the main points in this theory, particularly the basis of
that claim.

Regards,
Shaun

Well, now I've started I may as well get fully involved in .debate!

Shaun

You may like to consider separating British Military presence (which began
in the early 1970's at the request of the Catholic community to protect them
from Protestant violence) from Cultural presence of those from the British
Isles which began in the 1300s when Scottish tribes invaded Ulster (at which
time Great Britain did not exist and all the protagonists were recently
Christianised Celts (Protestantism not existing at the time)).  I suggest
Dave may have meant the former.

Sorry for following myself up but I must say I stand corrected about Dave's
meaning.  I wasn't too sure I should have put words in his mouth and now it
seems the words were wrong in the first place.

Sorry All, I never really wanted to open the festering wound of Northern
Ireland here anyway as greater minds than ours have failed to sort it all
out. (crawls back under rock)

Psi