 Off-Topic / Debate / 1210
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:28:55 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <376B8E64.D5F6383E@voyager.net>...
Why salaries and comp are closely guarded may be an interesting .debate
topic.

I've always assumed part of it is the corporations not wanting employees to
know how bad a deal they've got. Of course a more reasonable reason is the
corporation not wanting the employees to get bogged down in worrying about
why the guy in the next cubicle is getting twice what they get, and seems to
do less work (perhaps he seems to do less work because he does things right
the first time).

On the other hand, we now get shown where our salary places within a range
of industry salaries (this does actually bolster the idea of not worrying
about the salary of the guy in the next cubicle).

Another part of it almost certainly comes from the undercurrent of
puritanism which flows in our society, and the desire for privacy.

Frank