 Off-Topic / Debate / 12083
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
This somewhat illustrates one of my points in the Brave New World thread...
cloning advances seem to be on a parallel with population control, and may
eventually serve to eradicate individualism.

  You are, no doubt, referring to *genetic* individualism rather than some
boogie-man "cloned mind" scenario, since I'm sure you're aware that
identical twins are not the same individual, and also that clones would
likewise be two (or two thousand, or whatever) individuals.

Chris brings up a good point in sarcastic kind of way; Is man capable of
living in a crime free society? Think back to the story of Eden, only two
people and they too committed a crime even though they were living the
"perfect" life. I think it's just part of human nature to make bad choices,
and no matter how many laws or rules we apply, we can't control human nature.

  It's not always useful to set legal precedent based on ancient myth, however.

Really all we can do is make sure there are consequences for one's actions,
and that they are applied as evenly as possible.

  This is certainly true!

     Dave!