 Off-Topic / Debate / 12068
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:46:55 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
He would then be cutting that crust off of the loaf of bread on the kitchen
counter - he's armed with a knife. *BLAM*

Oops, he simply took the whole loaf.  No knife present.  They cart you of to
jail.  Meet Bubba.

Pull bread knife out of drawer, put in dead criminal's hand, let drop to floor.

I beleived that the intruder was about to sexually assault my wife (or even
me, who knows about people these days). *BLAM*

Oh dang, that was a woman you shot - your alibi doesn't hold up.  They cart
you off to jail.  Bubba thinks you are cute.

You sexist PIG.  Woman can sexually assault people too.

Someone being in your
house uninvited is NOT open season to shoot first and ask questions later.
It's pretty darn clear about it.

Uninvited is one thing. I have family show up uninvited quite often. But
unless I immediately recognize the intruder, or there's a police cruiser,
firetruck, or ambulance out front - I'm assuming they're armed & dangerous.

That fireman came over the wall - the firetruck is at the next street over.
You looked out the front window, spotted nothing and just murdered a
fireman.  Bubba never baths and is really hairy.

Only in Kalifornia would you meet Bubba.  In most sane states, you wouldn't.

All this macho posturing may make you feel good about yourself, just realize
that it may well not stand up in court.

You've got those Kalifornia blinders on - take them off and look at the real
world.  People are tired of being victims, and juries are siding with people
that defend themselves (I sure as hell would on a jury, unless it was patently
obvious that the defendant set the whole thing up in order to kill someone).

Posting messages saying you intend
to flout the law about reasonable belief in public places puts you in a bad
position if the prosecution reads Lugnet.  ;-)

Oh well.  It's still not going to stop me from defending myself (since I don't
have a gun yet, it will get really messy - I'm sure a torchiere base upside the
head will leave some nasty stains on the walls).  I'm not about to sit there and
wait for someone to hurt me if they've broken into my residence, and try to
argue them out of it or spend lots of time divining their intent.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/