 Off-Topic / Debate / 11998
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:21:47 GMT

Number one: I am not blowing hot air.

Number two: I am not confused about the electoral college. I was, however,
hasty and unspecific in that post but I hope I've clarified to your
satisfaction.

Number three: Regardless of how detailed or unspecific we are, nothing you
or I say on LUGNET adds up to a hill of beans because we are not wealthy nor
are we in positions of local, state or national political power, nor do we
belong to the Democratic or Republican parties.

I know that the Constitution cannot be changed via a referrendum and I don't
recall ever saying that the national vote I am suggesting would, in and of
itself, suddenly amend the Constitution. If I did say this somewhere, please
point it out to me.

But I was under the impression that a national referrendum can be used in
support of a congressional motion to amend the Constitution. In other words,
it would be hard evidence of public opinion to begin the legal process of
changing the Constitution. Or it could also support a motion to accept
national referrendums as a means of changing the Constitution. Either way,
it would be hard for the politicians to ignore.

Each and every American of legal voting age (as many as possible, not just
the ones who show up on election day) deserves a say on this matter so that
the laws being made will reflect public opinion. It can go either way
(though I've stated which I'd personally prefer) but at least the people
would be truly represented. That's about as much detail I can give on the issue.

Dan