 Off-Topic / Debate / 11965
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

Agreed. We're better than some. However I'd prefer a more restrictive vote.
Maybe proportional to taxes paid???

Larry, you forgot the smiley.

Um, no I didn't. Right now we have a system in which whoever spends the most
has the better chance of being elected. The money they spend doesn't
actually DO anything other than enrich PR/media organizations. (not bad in
and of itself, mind you, but not as good as laying fiber optic cable or
building factories, etc).

Why not cut out the middleman and instead of giving the election to the one
willing to pay for it (and then using the pull to lower their taxes or get
subsidies) give it to the people paying the bills. One tax dollar (net of
subsidies), one vote. If you then maneuver the government so you don't pay
as many taxes, you get less votes next time.

This really is a semi serious suggestion. Semi serious yes, not totally
serious, but no smiley is needed. It would be a novel way to organize and a
very interesting experiment. No idea if it would work better but doubt it
could be worse.

++Lar