 Off-Topic / Debate / 11964
Re: Police shoot wrong guy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:56:08 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
What's to comment?  Without viewing the actual tape, we don't know if the • policeman was justified in the
shooting (if Browne actually did not start putting the weapon down, the police • could feel justified,
especially if he was holding it in a threatening manner, whether he meant to • or not).

The only thing I pulled out of that story is that Duilio shouldn't be allowed • back on a beat until he
takes a few weeks of practice shots - 7-10feet away, 6 shots, and only 2 hit? • For a trained police
officer, when the "criminal" wasn't returning fire?  Shameful.

It's certainly true that we don't have enough information, but if the story is
reasonably true, this is a good example of why the cops need to not have a
shoot first ask questions later policy. We can't have a situation where having
a gun in your hand is a death sentence.

Oh, I definitely agree, but again, until the tape is viewed, it's pretty useless to
comment on who did what (except that it's pretty easy to comment on the cop's bad
aim).

It is my firm opinion that part of the police's job is to accept a bit higher
risk and give civilians in these situations a chance to back down.

Agreed.

Yes,
sometimes that will result in police casualties when the civilian is actually a
crook who takes advantage of the extra moment to pop the cop. Tough. The cop's
job is to protect US, and that means not popping us just because the wallet we
reach for MIGHT be a gun.

Damned straight - they take the job knowing fully well what the consequences may
be.

BTW, did you know Convenience Store Clerk is a more dangerous job than policeman?
More Convenience Store Clerks were killed on the job than cops in the line of duty
last year.

We are not at war with the cops.

Not normally...

Well, maybe we are. The war on crime isn't.
It's a war on us.

Agreed.  When the cops go full gungho into the drug war and stomp on liberties when
they know FULL WELL they will never win the War on Drugs, they become the enemy
(not by stopping criminals, but by assuming all are criminals and stomping on our
civil liberties).

I hope we hear more details about this situation. I'm encouraged that the
police force is taking a tact that they might have been wrong.

Also agreed.  It's a refreshing change.

I have all to
often seen the police tact be that the guy was obviously the most evil slug on
earth and should be lucky to be alive.

Yeah, and that sickens me.

--
Tom Stangl