 Off-Topic / Debate / 11748
Re: *Child* Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:43:58 GMT

http://www.doctorsagainsthandguninjury.org/purpose.html

Take a look at the number of kids who have been killed buy guns. It is
shocking.

Do you mean this:

Based on 1998 data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over
37% of the 866 people who died from unintentional firearm wounds were under >the age of 21 ?

Shockingly low if you compare it to what popular media would have you believe.
320 American kids died in one year as a result of accidental firearms deaths.
That's certainly not a good thing, but it hardly seems like a tragedy of epic
proportions given our population.

I'd like to take issue with the word *accidental* above: The number of
firearm related deaths under 21 actually includes juvenile offenders shot by
police in the commission of crimes!

More kids are killed each year by drowning in 5 gallon buckets of water!!!

Where's the outrage? Where are the calls for bucket safety locks and
background checks?! Or how 'bout banning assault buckets, even!? WE NEED
MORE STRICT BUCKET CONTROL LAWS!!!

The fact is, that firearms save far more lives than they take. People are
the problem, not guns. Murder existed long before the gun did.

Bill