 Off-Topic / Debate / 11738
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:03:42 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
And I suppose you think the people committing premeditated crimes own those
guns legally?  And banning handguns would keep them from owning them?

You're not really that naive, are you?

You honestly believe that having a huge domestic market has no effect
whatsoever on a criminals' access to weapons?  That criminals would obtain
handguns just as easily without a gun shop in every high street?  That every
handgun-related death is actually related to an illegally obtained weapon?
If you doubt any of these questions, then you have to agree that cutting off
the domestic supply would reduce the number of deaths.

It's too late - the market is in the untold millions already, closing the
floodgates will only insure that ONLY criminals have them.
If we were starting from ground zero, without millions out there, it would be a
different matter.

Narrowing the discussion to premeditated acts of violence shows considerable
näivety.  You cannot simply dismiss spontaneous aggressive situations which
become fatal purely because a gun was to hand, or even accidental deaths.

I'm not ignoring them completely.

I suppose you want to outlaw cars too?

Since you brought up the subject of car-related deaths, exactly how many
premeditated car-related deaths are recorded in the US each year?
Consistency can really make or break a good argument.

Good question, I have no idea.  But accidental death #s are easily obtained.  And
RoadRage cases ARE increasing.

It depends on the state.  Some require training (or will require it soon) in
order to own a handgun (but not a rifle or shotgun - how stupid is that?  It
should be training for all, or no training for all).

So, you would advocate training on the basis of equal encumbrance, but not
on any sort of safety or responsibility grounds?

I would advocate training PERIOD.  I don't think anyone should own/operate
anything with a high possibilty of danger without required training (cars, guns,
you name it).

When I do buy a gun, I WILL take various training courses.