 Off-Topic / Debate / 11694
Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:01:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

<snip>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1402000/1402880.stm

Wow!.. Is this really a big news story? I didn't expected that.

I'd characterise it as significant! It's bad news for democracy to ban
political parties (or make the playing field uneven, as it is in the US),
even ones that are advocating non democratic courses. (that is why banning
the Communist party was wrong back when the US did it)

I really don't agree. In a country like mine, you can't go fully democratic
since there is no common sense majority that prevent the population from total
collapse into some stupid "islamic republic" thing, just like in Iran. In a
country like mine, where the education level of people quite low and distorted,
where we still talking about litracy rates (still less than 90% by the way) you
cannot allow a bunch of people playing with very sensitive issues like
religion, by which gathering quite big mass of fans is very easy.

Was it something you were aware of already, Selçuk? That is, did it make the
Turkish press? And how does the Turkish press reporting contrast with the
BBCs? My view of the Turkish press (based on nothing at all other than gut
feeling and some superficial reading) is that it's not particularly free.
(tieing back to the First Amendment and freedom of press)

Larry, don't do that to me..:-) Yes, Turkey is a 3rd world country, still
trying to immitate playing in the first league, but we are certainly not
"patagonia" from a B-movie spy story.

Of course I'm aware of that, and of course it was first news during the whole
final stage of the judgement. There are more than 20 leading national
newspapers (none state owned), more than 20 national TV channels (only 1 state
owned) and countless local ones of each. And of course all of them given the
news of it from their point of view. Religious ones protested, common popular
media didn't make comments, and social democrat ones approved. None of which
closed or something.

Our mother law does not allow foundation of political parties of that kind
(advocating of a certain part of people over the others, related to race,
religion, class, etc.), and one of the first articles of the same law clearly
indicates that Turkish Republic is laicist. It must be closed under the current
law, and it is closed, that's all.  So I still can't understand why this stupid
issue makes an entry in Scott's top 4 list.

And you are right about not being all free, but there are much more about it.
We don't get always the serious news with required seriousness, but it is
mainly related to media being a weapon of big companies who owned them. So
being in good relations with the government means having nice state contracts,
and from government's point of view, being in good relations with media means
good support from them. Media is a very affetcive tool just as in your
countries, and they unfortunatelly know how to use it..:-) You can't have
better in a corrupt country like Turkey.

By the way Larry, as being a too much travelling man who met half of Lugnet
face to face, what about a small trip to Turkey when you find a chance, say,
during spare time from a visit to a customer in a country near us (Germany?
Italy? Greece?)..:-)

Selçuk