 Off-Topic / Debate / 11685
11684  |  11686
Subject:
Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:49:11 GMT

According to the CDC, 1998 saw 30,708 firearm-related deaths in the entire
US.  17,605 of those were suicides.  I'll call the 12,228 assaults and the
875 accidents that remain a problem.  So out of the roughly 275 million
people in the US, .0000476 of them were killed by guns.

   I found similar, though slightly differing, stats at

http://www.doctorsagainsthandguninjury.org/purpose.html

In 1998, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

Suicides with firearms took the lives of 17,420 Americans.
Homicides with firearms took the lives of 11,798 Americans.
Unintentional firearm deaths took the lives of 866 Americans.
The precise number of people who suffered non-fatal injuries in firearm-
related incidents is not known, but the estimates exceed 90,000.

Close enough for discussion.  For further clarification, I also found a
"total deaths" figure for 1998 of 2,337,256 deaths.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pdf/nvsr49_03.pdf
(see page 4)

It seems to me more prudent to use the "total deaths" figure, rather than
"total population" figure, since only the number of deaths is relevant in a
discussion of gun-related deaths.  However, even using this much smaller
figure (and my total gun deaths figure of 30,084), the number of gun-related
deaths is still only 1.29% of the total mortality rate for 1998.  Not an
especially large figure, overall (though I don't in any way mean to lessen
the seriousness of the 30,084 deaths, either.)

     Dave!