 Off-Topic / Debate / 11652
Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:04:05 GMT

Child pornography, as I understand it -- in the US, can mean a
snapshot of a naked six year old playing in the sprinkler or it can mean
movies of nine year olds being raped, or of fourteen year olds having
consensual sex.  So what do _you_ mean?  Or what do _we_ mean?

A good question. If it is publically avaible it could include all 3. But I
see your point. But lets leave the marginal side of kiddy porn aside for now.

But what is marginal?  And I disagree that all three could be included.  I can
envision a gallery selling 20x24" matted prints of a naked six year old and his
dog playing in a sprinkler.  Would that under any reasonable set of
circumstances be kiddie porn?  _I_ wouldn't count the fourteen year olds having
sex as kiddie porn either.  But I know lots of people would.

their condition. I recognised your rights based outlook on this, but I think
a mature democracy should be able to make a decisions and ban such material.

And as always, I'm frightened of your 'mature democracy.'  An unfettered
democracy is potentially as bad as any dictatorship.

Who said unfettered?

Heck, with a dictatorship
at least you have some chance of a cluefull guy at the top.

Perhaps you should move to Cuba?

Maybe.  If there is no victim, there is no crime.

Flatulence has many victims, but it is not a crime. If there is no law,
there is no crime. :)

Good point!  Let's do away with most of them.  :-)

Sometimes you surprise me... but not this time!

Scott A