 Off-Topic / Debate / 11640
Re: More LP S P A M : (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

Violence in the movies is not the
same as in real life.

How so? What is different?

Just what war torn coutry do you live in?

I'm just wondering what the difference is in your mind.

As I cycle to work, cars do not screech around corners. Buildings do not
explode. But I am sure that behind a couple of doors a husband is beating a
wife. A dad is beating his kids. A mother may be beating her kids too. The
reality is that most violence in society happens in the home. Movies do not
show that. Perhaps if movies did, there would be less domestic violence?

It might be a way to curb that type of violence, yes. So why not show that
type of violence in movies? Get it out in the open. Don't hide it from your
children. Allow them to see the violence and have a chance to understand
that it is wrong and *why* it's wrong.

Because, I expect, people do not want to know. Domestic violence exists, but
too many in society turn a blind eye.

Scott A

Movies have the stylised violence we see today as the market does
not want to see the real thing. Films which show real violence (Nil by Mouth
comes to mind) do not make huge $$, because the market wants, to a certain
extent,

Then why is there such a hunger for the media to lay their hands on (to use
the example again) autopsy photos of Dale Earnheardt?

Who is this?

He is a racecar driver who was killed in an accident during a televised
racing event.

Was it a few months ago - Is that the guy who did not wear a helmet?

It seems like people
*want* reality in their media. Think back to the older westerns and war
movies. When someone was shot, they either coverd up the wound or showed the
"ketchup stain" wound. Today a gunshot wound seems incomplete unless you can
see the graphic damage done by the bullet (preferrably in slow motion).

No. A guy gets shot in the arm. He holds his arm and gives his chosen loved
one a kiss. His arm does not be blown off.

I think people truly want reality in their media, even if it is a stylized
representation of reality interpreted by the director. Why shield people by
removing their rights?

Why expose kids to it?

Why trample their rights? Children have rights too. It's up to the parents
to determine what is appropriate for their childs developmental stage.

I do not believe that parents always know best. I think most parents try
their best, but at times that is not good enough. Children are too fragile
to be left to trial-and-error parenting.

Scott A

Scott A

-Duane