 Off-Topic / Debate / 11412
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:39:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

I disagree. But I understand your point. Although the Cambridge link works
for me, we can use your dictionary (above). It is not that your rock is
"Lacking{1}  moral sensibility" it is simply *unable* to have moral
sensibility. The distinction is not subtle. However, saying they rock is
without morals is in itself negative - although I doubt the rock cares that
much.

Totally not following this. If something is unable, it clearly lacks. In
what way is amoral an insufficient category to contain rocks, amoeba, grass
and sheep (positing sheep are not self aware)?

Lacking, in my mind, means that something is able to have - just in a
deficient or reduced manner. Unable is just that - without the ablity to
have. The ability didn't exist in the first place.

Like I said, I can see the distiction. I don't necessarily agree with it,
but I can see the point.

I still agree with Larry's distictions between being moral, immoral and
amoral. Do you believe that things are either moral or immoral (to varying
degrees), with no room for an amoral definition? Or is there a fourth
definition in there somewhere?

If there is he hasn't given it. I would like to hear it (stated positively,
that is, not in terms of what it is not), so tests could be applied to see
if it really does add another equivalence class to the partition.

I reiterate, I see there being only 3 partitions here, and if one answers
"is it A, B, or C" with "none" the onus is on that person to say what sort
of thing it is, then.

Agreed.

(arguably I'd even lump moral and immoral together for the purposes of
partitioning and go down to two classes. There are things that morality is
relevant to, and things that it isn't. There are no other possibilities)

I can go with that. Moral and immoral both imply that the relevant thing has
morals, accepted morals or morals which go against custom. Either way, it's
still a moral. Whether it's moral or immoral is a matter of perception.
Amoral on the other hand means that the relevant object has no morals
what-so-ever.

++Lar

-Duane