 Off-Topic / Debate / 11410
Re: Validity testing (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:08:35 GMT

Aha... now we've reached a potential crux. What do and do not have rights?
Does a dog? How about a baby? Does a retarded human? Cro-magnon man?

This, once again, is the false dichotomy at work.  Are you not asking that
a line be drawn as a crossroads between sentient and non-sentient (ie:
crux)?  It was my impression that you'd already agreed no such line could be
drawn, even though a distinction clearly exists (albeit admittedly bounded
by gray areas).

Didn't I explain this before?

I'm asking Larry where the line he's imagining is, not saying anything about
what I believe with that statement-- And again, *IF* one asserts that
animals do *NOT* have rights, *and* that humans *DO*, at some point in
between the two, rights emerge. No? Am I wrong to assume such?

And as I said before, my question does not require rights to be
non-developmental-- but the assertion that they *DON'T* *EXIST* at the level
of animals necessarily requires them to "pop in" at some point between the
two ends. At some point it *EXISTS*, even if not fully developed.

The only exception I can think of (feel free to correct me if you think of
another) is that the "flow" between animals and humans is not a "flow" at
all, but rather two separate things all together. I.E. you don't accept
evolutionary theory, which *does* provide a "gradient" between "animals" and
"humans" along which such an existance (of rights) suddenly exists. No?

If no line may be drawn, that implies that rights *always* exist in *all*
things, to different degrees, yes? And that *IS* what I'm arguing. But Larry
didn't say that. I'm asking Larry where his line is, because I believe his
stance *does* in fact require a line, even if he can't pin it down (as he
has admitted). Does it not need to exist? If not, please explain how.

DaveE