 Off-Topic / Debate / 11399
Re: Validity testing (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:14:40 GMT

Now, if I in my role as owner of that property, exploit it by, say, smashing
a rock with my hammer to make gravel to decorate or improve another part,
there is no "might makes right" involved. As long as I have clear title, and
there are no deed restrictions, it is mine to do with as I wish.

If I similarly exploit a clearly non sentient organism and rightless, a
blade of grass for example, there is no difference. This neatly extends to
any other organism that doesn't have rights. No might makes right involved.
It's simply a case of exploitation of resources that belong to me.

Aha... now we've reached a potential crux. What do and do not have rights?
Does a dog? How about a baby? Does a retarded human? Cro-magnon man?

The only time that "might makes right" is involved is if I am exploiting
something that has rights. In which case it's a different scenario not a
boundary condition. Important distinction.

Alright, I guess I'd dispute this, but only insofar as I think animals have
rights. I just don't value their rights ("food animals") enough to prevent
myself from killing them for food.

Killing ones own food animals for food is not an amoral act because it is
not *amoral* to wish to sustain yourself with the fruits of your labor.
Rather, it is profoundly moral to wish to live and to further that end in a
non violent non rights abrogating way. Not amoral, not immoral, but moral.

I'd call it amoral (assuming no rights, etc). For the sake of example, let's
say I eat some salt. I don't think we'll have anyone arguing that the salt
has any rights/moral awareness/self-awareness/desires. I'd call eating the
salt an amoral act. Why? Mostly because I don't associate my own happiness
as something *moral*. I just associate that with personal desire. And as I
said elsewhere, I think morality is *social* desire. Hence, when more than
one being's desires come into play, and one party can recognize as valuable
these desires, then it becomes a moral issue.

I guess the way I see it is better exampled not by saying "moral" and
"immoral" so much as "heroic" and "evil". Someone who is *moral* is not
actually indifferent (I.E. not in moral violation) but is actually a *good*
person-- doing charitable and just acts, rather than living on the border.
And I have a hard time judging eating salt (or being cruel to it) as either
"heroic" or "evil". It just doesn't register on the scale.

Now, I would be happy to eat steak grown in a vat (from an original donor
cell) rather than sliced from carcasses, and would welcome such a
development, but that's not here yet.

Woah! Wait a sec! You would *welcome* such a development? Why? Just because
you wouldn't have animal rights activists attacking you? As judging the act
of killing an animal for your own food to be moral, wouldn't artificially
generated food have *exactly* equal moral implications? Why prefer one to
the other unless there's actually some *negative* value associated with
eating previously living meat?

DaveE