 Off-Topic / Debate / 11388
Re: Validity testing (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:18:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
So morality is only useful insofar as how we judge ourselves? It would be
conceited, rude, and incorrect to assume me being immoral for torturing a
baby?

You are taking an argument to its illogical extreme.

Excellent. As I've advocated many times, taking something to the extreme is
the only way to test its validity. If it doesn't hold at the extremes, it
doesn't hold.

Hmmm. Maybe. But I'd use the example of Newtonian physics to say even though
it doesn't hold in extreme conditions, it's generally "good enough" for
everyday life. Maybe that also holds for this situation...

ROSCO

Are Newtonian physics really valid? Is it not just that the errors are so
small we can live with them?

Scott A