 Off-Topic / Debate / 11366
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 08:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

No no, your position on whether animals are moral/immoral OR amoral. Do you
think they are moral/immoral or amoral?

Good restatement. Good luck getting a straight answer though.

Larry,
At this point I am tempted to dig up all the old posts you have not answered
- where the questions were *very* direct. All those ones were you were
unable to justify yourself. Unable to back you own argument. Unable to show
us your strengths as a critical thinker. But, you will be glad to hear, I >won't.

I for one would actually like to see you do that. Demonstrate away....

Why? He's done it before.

Shock : Larry does not want me to!

Why enable him dodging a simple yes no question by urging him to indulge
himself rather than urging a straight answer?

Just what am I dodging?

Besides, I freely admit that I don't always have all the answers nor do I
always answer every question asked. Some are irrelevant, some admit of no
answer, some I don't know the answers to, some there isn't time to address,
some are too far off topic. I pick and choose what to address based on
trying to make my points and to make the debate interesting.

And there are those were you are just plain unwilling to justify yourself –
do you deny that?

Never tried to deny that. Sometimes I even say "you know what, last time I
got asked this I got all wrapped around the axle and couldn't answer it, but
here's my gut feeling on it. Can't justify it, but there it is".

hmm "gut feeling". If your view is just a "gut feeling", perhaps you should
do us the decency as saying that - rather than dressing it up as a shallow
reality.

But here's an example of a simple factual (it's based on what he said and
didn't say) yes/no question that admits of a simple answer.

Just what is this yes/no question?

However it's an
answer that if given, would confirm the existance of a contradiction that he
was caught in. It would point out that he agreed with someone and then
disagreed with me when it was the same thing being said.

Larry you deluded. If by "contradiction" you mean that I am able to
challenge my own views (ie think critically) than I am happy for you to say
that. If you are saying I am representing a false argument - I view that as
tantamount of being accused of copying you.

Hence you won't get a straight answer no matter how hard you try. His track
record suggests he's incapable of recognising he has contradicted himself or
of admitting it to others.

So let it go. Chalk it up as a good try and let it go. Let's move on.

Like I said to Chris a few posts back, sometimes the best you can do is
highlight that a difference exists and then drop it.

And when you said that, I thought you were copying just what I was doing
with you a couple of weeks back. ;-)

Scott A

++Lar