 Off-Topic / Debate / 11327
Re: 3 Question (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:50:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
(To Ross, it's
more reasonable to ask that you prove this happens than that I prove it
doesn't, partly because you're asking me to prove the negative and partly
because your claim would be the more far fetched)

OK. You asserted "animals are amoral" with nothing to back it up. Go type
"dog hero" into your favourite search engine, look through the list of hits.
Many acts can be explained by (the dog exhibiting) self preservation, but
what causes a dog to jump into a flooding river & drag out a human? What
causes a dog to drag a human back home after he experienced a heart attack?
Their morals may not be as complex as ours, but that doesn't make them
non-existent.

Good examples! Dogs are pack animals, it is true. Is that sufficient to
explain these behaviours? I don't know. Saving one's meal ticket would
exhibit forethought. Do dogs have such? The conventional answer is that they
don't, so that's not an explanation either.

Are these examples of morals? Or just of bonding? I don't know.

Good examples, though.