 Off-Topic / Debate / 11305
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:27:36 GMT

Animals are amoral. In their system, might makes right.

Disagree.  Nothing makes 'right.'  Might makes reality.

Humans, while they
are still animal, can choose not to be amoral. To do so means repudiating
the notion that force is the only mechanism for deciding outcomes.

Additionally, they can choose to be immoral, which I'm wonder if people in this
thread are forgetting is not the same as amoral.

There is nothing amoral about a lion killing a wilder beast with all its

I think there is.  Neither the lion nor the wildebeest is concerned with
morality.  It is an action completely without moral regard.  It is therefore
amoral.  But not immoral.

I agree. But calling the lion, in this case, amoral makes it sound like it
has a choice?

A lion will kill its prey as
quickly and cleanly as it can

Are you sure?  Many animals do not.  And while I'm not willing to state as
fact that about lions, I thought that they were among the animals who are not
at all concerned about quick clean kills.  As I understand it as lion will kill its prey first by suffocation of strangulation. It makes evolutionary sense to do so:
Dead animals don’t run away.
Dead animals don’t jab you with their big pointy horns.

And in fact often started eating
before the prey was dead.

You may be right. I am no expert.

– it does not pump it full of antibiotics and
growth hormones first. It can be argued that we treat the animals we eat as
badly as we can without effecting their market value

I think that if you're willing to soften the 'as badly as possible' part, I
think that you can also replace 'argued' with 'proven.'  Humans do incredibly
inhumane things to their food animals.

– and you claim we both
have a right to do this *and* and more morals?

I think we are capable of being so much more and so much less.  The same thing
that allows us to transcend amorality, makes it our fault if we do not.  If
we are cruel.  We would not even think in terms of fault with the lion.

The problem with the lion situation is that we are inferring our moral
values on it - I do not feel that they are compatible. I think we should
look at our morals deeper first:

Alleged mass murderer to go on trial:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1417000/1417460.stm

Alleged mass murderer pops in for tea: