 Off-Topic / Debate / 11304
11303  |  11305
Subject:
Nature of rights? (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:17:32 GMT

My point is that rights
don't conflict, and that animals do not use a system of rights in working
things out. They are amoral. Like I said to Dan, if you disagree, your
understanding of rights, in my opinion, is suspect.  By extension,
anything you say ABOUT rights is therefore suspect as well, in
my opinion.

It sounds like you're were going somewhere good and have given up Larry.

I assume (hope!) your goal in all this was not to get to the point where you
could just tell folks that they don't understand rights.  I think there must be
common elements of what makes a 'right' in all of our understandings.  Dan,
Scott, Kirby, and Ross seem to be agreeing to some kind of 'natural rights'
that mean something entirely different than what I (and I think you) mean by
the word.

If I could hear from them what it is that makes something a natural right,
maybe that would clear things up a little.  The only potential objection that I
have at the outset of this, is that it seemed sometimes that people were
defining these natural rights simply as the ability to act a way.  If 'natural
right' and 'ability' are synonyms, then what's the point in using a more
complicated phrase to discuss it?  There must, it seems, be something that
distinguishes between these rights and abilities.

And I think I don't just agree with you (Larry) on rights either.  Correct me
if I'm wrong, but you seem to believe that rights are immutible or not based on
the context of culture.  I think they clearly are.

Chris