 Off-Topic / Debate / 11274
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:57:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Speaking strictly in a biological sense, all living beings have the natural
right of reproduction.

Ability, not right, wouldn't you agree? See below.

The presence of sex organs and sex hormones is proof
enough that organisms are here to thrive and repopulate. Reproduction is a
natural, hard-wired function and the purpose is to ensure the survival of
the species. When certain organisms are naturally unsuccessful at
reproduction (barring cataclysms like meteors, comets or other
extraterrastrial events), that's nature's way of getting rid of the bad
genes. They die off for a reason. That's the scientific perspective.

Evolution in action, as they say.

<snip>

I snipped the human perspective because I agree with your statements
pointing out that it's not always a good idea for folks not prepared or for
folks likely to have severely disadvantaged children, from doing so.

Clarifying my question a bit.

What I was trying to get at was the notion that some folks have that people
have the *right* to have progeny even if they cannot properly be parents
(can't support, are unfit, or are genetically at risk).

Having kids is a huge responsibility and I would advocate discouraging the
irresponsible from doing so. Not sure how to do that without trampling on
*other* rights but do feel strongly I'd like to find a way.

My suspicion is you agree, when put that way, but I'm not sure.