 Off-Topic / Debate / 11273
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Whether you like the job or not, I can't see how you CAN'T see it as punishment to give PFT to parents and not to single people.  I just can't
understand it - try to convince me that it's not a punishement to deny a benefit to others.

I guess we just have different views on this subject, that's all. But I
don't think "punishment" is the appropriate word here and neither is
"reward." Either way, so long as we agree that there are differing views to
this subject then it makes no difference trying to convince each other,
right? I think everyone understands your view clearly but just don't agree.
And I don't know if it's possible you or me could convince anyone but at
least we've given some food for thought.

I think it's wishful thinking to believe in the idea of a "miracle drug."
There are always side effects which reveal themselves immediately or over
time. We are a pill popping culture. I think we are too quick to treat
nearly everything with drugs. That has become the prevailing paradigm: Got a
headache, take a pill. Got no energy, take a pill. Got bad farts, take a
pill. Can't get it up, take a pill.

That I agree with.  I generally avoid drugs, but it's hard to sometimes, knowing that how crappy I feel can be fixed with a few Motrin.

Moderation is a very good idea. Technically is it really "fixed" or just
delayed? You got to remember that these drugs not only suppress the pain but
also suppress the body's built-in abilities to help you deal with the
crappiness. I know it seems more practical, especially on a busy day, to
take a pill so you can get through it, but is it really good for your body?
Not in the long run but I suppose it's okay once in a while. But when it
becomes a regular thing then it's pretty obvious that the body's natural
abilities have shut down and a drug dependence has been created. On top of
that, the body builds up resistence to the drug and we start taking bigger,
stronger dosages. It's a downward spiral when it gets out of hand like that.

Dan