 Off-Topic / Debate / 11257
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:30:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
David Eaton wrote:
So, if they DON'T choose it, is it sexist/unfair to give women paid time
off?

PAID time off?  If you don't also give Paternity leave, yes, it is.  And that
still makes it unfair to those that choose not to have kids.

Alright-- I'll ask a little more directly: what does the act of choosing
have to do with it? Should those who *didn't* choose to have kids have
negative reprecussions? Should those that *did* have negative repercussions?
Should those negative reprecussions (if extant) be different between those
who did and didn't choose that way?

(not picking on Dave E per se, he's asking good questions)

Why isn't this a matter for employers to choose? In an ideal world,
shouldn't employers be able to decide they want their company to be family
friendly and offer a palette of benefits that attract families, or
conversely, decide that they want their company to be a party happy place
and offer a palette of benefits that attract swinging singles?

Let the market decide which employers get more effective workers (and thus
prosper).

++Lar