 Off-Topic / Debate / 11248
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
Wow, both Larry AND Selçuk agree with something I said in debate (oh happy
day!).

Magi (who generally posts here with fear and trepidation because of the mental
energy expenditure involved in trying to defend oneself once one's views
have been stated)

<grinning>

Well, it must really be your lucky day! I agree too. I don't think the
government should regulate this either. It was made as a suggestion for
private companies to decide for themselves - with the explanation of why it
may be worth it for the company. Hearing what other people said, it may
indeed not be worthy - but I don't know. I'm biased here since I know what's
good for me, and staying at home during the 1-2 worst days of my period is
good for me. I had a big problem with this this year - I had to go home sick
from school, after friends of mine convinced me to go to the nurse (since I
was looking and feeling horrible). During one term, the sick days I amassed
combined with going to Israel during school days (to take college tests)
almost caused me to get an "N" mark (unsatisfactory attendance) on my report
card in a few major subjects. So what I'm saying is, the suggestion came
from my personal need and maybe (very possibly) it isn't applicable to
everyone. But I think maybe my resources are worth enough to a company in
order to hire me even with those sick days.

Or maybe I'll work independently and give myself sick days. ;-)

-Shiri

Shiri,

When you return to Israel, will you not have to serve in the military? Do
they take your monthly cycle into consideration when they order you to fall in?

As far as companies are concerned, you may be able to have a few options.
Lots of places offer flexible working hours that allow you to earn time off
without having to dip into holidays and sick days. An extra 30 minutes a day
can get you a a day off every three weeks. :-) Or you can work reduced hours
and be able to change your schedule from week to week.

Jude