 Off-Topic / Debate / 11235
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:09:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

I don't think so.  I can't pinpoint the differences, but it seems to me that
men and women think differently in some ways.

Hmm - yeah, many people seem to notice that. A lot of people mention how
women seem to able to handle five conversations at once, while men have a
hard time with two. Of course that's a broad generalization, but it's one
example that many people notice.

Yeah, and it has seemed to me that when discussing how to solve some problem or
social dilema, women are more likely to answer practically and men are more
likely to answer with idealistic answers.  And men and women tend to have
different sexual thoughts/tendencies/preferences/whatever.  Again, these are
broad generalizations.

In that case, why should women get extra "perks"?

Because we need the viewpoints of women in the workplaces even if it costs
letting them off for a day or two?

Really? Do you think employers value women's opinions that much?

Really?  Yes.  Are most employers on that wavelength?  No.  But any enterprise
is strengthened by diversity of opinion and point of view.  I think the
strongest argument in favor of volluntary (for the employer) affirmitive action
is that it heightens diversity of thought.

Is that unfair to men?

If there is no compensatory action, then it is.  And to women who don't need
to take it.

What if the absence is indeed counted as unpaid leave?

Well, then as I mentioned it, I see no problem.  And anyone could take
advantage of that system.  But I think it would be valuable for most job places
to free up a little and learn to be flexible so that when I want a day off just
because I need a day off for down time, that there is some way to get it.  I
won't call in sick just because I'm stressed out...I'll wait till it makes me
sick :-)  But who does that help?

Yeah... I wonder how the psychological idea works, and if there's any
statistical indication for what you seem to be noticing. Interesting indeed.

I bet there have been studies looking at that.  I don't know where they would
be published though.  Maybe in the HRD journals.

(Kinda like the honor test; the teacher says "I honestly trust you guys not
to cheat, and I'm leaving the room." If the teacher really does trust the
students that much, and they know it, they will probably not cheat.)

Right.  I'm not going to let this turn into one of my rants, but...

If tests were just there to let the students know how much they had learned,
then there would be _no_ cheating.  The students would care about some tests
because they thought that subject matter was important to their larger lives,
and would do well (or use the results diagnostically to improve their
knowledge), and they would blow off the unimportant tests.  Our system teaches
kids to lie and cheat by linking external behaviorist motivators to the test
scores.

For me, yes. But it's kinda problematic to "schedule" work around my cycle
coz I'm in school.

So your only concern is school work?  It still seems like you would be able to
say 'OK, on 4-5 July I'm going to be incapacitated, and my project is due on
the 7th, so I better get the work done before my bad time.'

as for the latter suggestion, it's not workable for a
couple of reasons (medical history in my family makes using the pill not
recommended, unless it's neccessary).

Bummer.  It was very convenient when my wife was using the pill and we had a
vacation planned: she would just take an extra week or whatever to bump her
cycle up and make it not fall during vacation so that she'd feel well and not
have to tote all those feminine hygiene products around.  Nature's way is a bit
less convenient.

Chris