 Off-Topic / Debate / 10856
    Re: New Brickbay promotion —Lindsay Frederick Braun
   (...) I've seen indications that it may be a word derived from the trading port of Alexandria, where Egyptian traders' interactions with Europeans gave rise both to the "gypsy" and "gypping" concepts. This is supposedly because at the time Europeans (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion) —Dave Schuler
   (...) I think it was taken fairly seriously--not as a veiled slur but as a matter of public embarrassment resulting in an offer of resignation by the "offending" party: (URL) In any case, I'm offended by your invocation of Hitler in your use of the (...) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Etymological Oddities (was Re: New Brickbay promotion) —Maggie Cambron
   (...) Maggie C. (who would be living testament to the notion that the memory is the first to go except that I've always been this way! Oh, wait, I hope I'm not offending anyone with my use of the word TESTAMENT!) (23 years ago, 14-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)