 Off-Topic / Debate / 10851
Re: Libertarian Propaganda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:26:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

Well, exactly what our national interests are is certainly a matter for debate.
I was just saying that whatever we decide they are, it is fine to use force to
protect them. But if by economic imperialism, you mean free trade, than yes.

I mean dominating other nations through unethical trading practicing or
harsh sanctions or expoitating human labor and natural resources of other
nations. There's no morality in using force to "defend" our greedy business
ventures and economic gain.

As far as one nation honoring the rights of another nation's citizens, they
obviously do not have to. I may have rights as an American citizen, but the
government of China is not obligated to protect them.

I imagine you mean rights as in our Constitutional Rights, not the
"inalienable human rights" of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
Those are the rights of all people and should be honored around the world.

The Founding Fathers were perhaps the wisest bunch of people in the same place
at the same time. But a lot of what they said was idealistic (their actions
were a bit more pragmatic), and being idealistic just doesn't cut it in foreign
policy.

Have we really given it a chance though?

What was Bush's crime? (not that I'm a big Bush defender)

CIA director responsible for numerous assassinations, death squads in
Central America, Iran-Contra, etc. Bombing Iraq into the stone age and
imposing and orchestrating the brutal sanctions that led to the death and
suffering of innocent men, women and children. Promising support to the
Iraqi people in the north and south of Iraq if they rebel against Saddam,
then withdrawing that support and allowing them to be wiped out. Staying on
the sidelines during the "ethnic cleansing" in Bosnia and even block arms
for the Bosnians to defend themselves.

I think the lopsided kill ratio is more a result of America's geographic
isolation and technological superiority than any particular policy.

Yes, we kill because we can.

Harry Browne (the LP presidential candidate) endorsed a policy of
assassination, which I fully agree with. It makes a lot of sense if you want to
punish dictators without hurting civilians.

And what, replace one dictator with another? Another puppet for America? Is
assassination the answer? Is America better off that Kennedy or Lincoln were
assassinated, by their own countrymen?

Dan