 Off-Topic / Debate / 10845
Re: Libertarian Propaganda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek writes

<snip>

The fact that we have greater resources and greater technologies with which
to manage those resources today means that an entangled alliance now is not
the same as it was in Jefferson's time.

Well, yes and no. While it may be easier to project power now than then, it
was already easier in 1914, and I would argue that entangling alliances made
WW I flare up worse and faster than if it had been just Austro Hungary
flexing muscle in the Balkans. So I think the notion of entanglement is not
about ability to project power, but rather the implication of what it means
to be *committed* to do so.

   The meaning of alliance in 1914 was already different than that
   in the 1780s.  The point in 1914 that caused the war was very
   simply and plainly--as several recent studies and unearthed
   documents have confirmed--that the German leadership *wanted*
   a war, albeit one like the Franco-Prussian rather than one like
   the land phase of the Russo-Japanese.  The alliances just gave
   states the justification to do what they wanted to do.  For an
   indication of how much leeway was available had it had been
   desired in WWI, just look at Italy...

   I've always read Jefferson as a proto-realpolitik thinker.
   He also understood that the United States, at that time, was
   in an extremely vulnerable position--wealthy and exposed, to
   friend and foe alike, in a world that was increasingly unstable.
   Freedom of action was absolutely necessary.

That said, I'm not sure where I'm going with that so may just try to let it
rest to focus on the sanctions part, below, which is much juicier...

   I'm not sure where we were going with it either, but it
   gave me a chance to recite pointlessly.  :)

Agreed--this is a murky area in which no answer is proof against "yeah,
but."  I would say that the the absolute hands-off attitude professed by
some is reprehensible, but I don't have a clear-cut answer of when
involvement is appropriate.

Me either. Not even "I know it when I see it."

   Consider:  Is the uncertainty of appropriateness of action
   taken by government a result or a *cause* of the nature
   of government?  The ship only moves in the space where the
   rudder can be turned.

++Lar

  As an aside, if I address or refer to you within a paragraph, should I
call you Lar, ++Lar, or Larry?

The increment is an operator, a preface for the sig, not part of the
identifier/name. (it's really just an old gag on Todd signing his name
--Todd that stuck....) Should I be reciprocally leaving off the bang then too?

ADD 1 to LAR. (is that better?? :-) )

   "Lar-One?"  You sound like you should be on a 70s SF show.  ;)

   best

   LFB