 Off-Topic / Debate / 10479
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:25:49 GMT

Minerva is but one of many failed attempts.  They go to prove Larry's claim
that there is an impermiable barrier to entry.  Unfortunate.

I know that this isn't what you or Larry meant,

While I do agree with where you're going, once you get there (see below, I
don't just start at the beginning of a post and insert bon mots without
going back and seeing if they make sense or not in the context of the whole
post) why bring it up, though? Isn't it a bit of a straw dog argument? I'm
trying hard not to do these things, anyway...

I suppose I didn't phrase my intent very clearly.  What I meant was that,
although I know you and Chris aren't proposing things in this
(non-falsifiable, et al) way, there are those who would do so, thereby
damaging the credibility of what could be at least partially a viable
system.

Yes. I wholeheartedly agree. And they *are* damaging! Very!!!

Even if the system in toto wouldn't work in the real world, we can
all agree that elements of it could work nicely even as applied to the
current system.

Right, for example while maybe we can't move to a "zero pollution unless you
pay everyone" model, I think that moving to a market for just about every
pollutant (where the total pollutant allowed keeps going down every year but
the deals about who pollutes how much are allowed to go forward
unrestrictedly) would be better than a strict regulatory cap approach like
we have now.

It seems to work for the pollutants we tried. Why not try it for CO2???

Well, in that regard (and how many others! 8^) you're something of an
anomaly.

Why thank you!

Many Libertarians I've heard on TV and in real life espouse a much
more drastic and unrealistic "it must be this way, and right now" sort of
view.  These, I believe, are the macho-flash Libertarians you've mentioned
previously, and I think we both agree that they're damaging to the larger
discussion regardless of my agreement or disagreement with either side.

Yes.

Nevertheless I do think it would be interesting to conduct an experiment and
try to identify all the "why it failed" excuses in advance and eliminate all
of them in advance if we can. Interesting, probably not practical.

Interesting indeed, and anyone honestly interested in the discussion
should whole-heartedly support such an experiment.

If I put in 10 bucks, and you put in 10 bucks, we're what...

1/20,000,000,000th of the way to what it might cost to try it... :-)

I hold my city on the hill as an example of the direction to move in, but am
happy to see incremental improvement without ever getting there.

++Lar