 Off-Topic / Debate / 10444
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 19:23:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Daniel Jassim wrote:
I think you're missing the point, Tom. Why should the beginnings of a "space
based manufacturing infrastructure" be based on military applications?

Because it will get things done faster, because no one (or consortium of) company is willing to pony up the money to do so at this time?

What's the big rush? As I said, look what happened in the last century
because people rushed into so many things without considering the long term
consequences. It is entirely possible that we may end up creating another
problem for the next generation. I commend your idealism but look at the sad
reality. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

   Circumspection was urged in this idealised "then" you're talking
   about too--especially as regards air travel, motor vehicles, and
   even medicine.  And no mistake, you're absolutely right, we made
   a lot of problems (although I'd argue the balance between those
   humans solved and those we created is still in favour of the former,
   at least inasfar as the top 10 things individual people lived in
   mortal fear of in 1900).  I think it's a bankrupt comparison,
   though, because it argues counterfactuals.  It looks like a
   strong analogy, and it may be, but without specific comparators
   it just looks like the-sky-is-falling rhetoric.

   And, of course, just because we should be circumspect doesn't
   mean that everyone will be.  And the first one to forge ahead
   will change the rules of said game for anyone who seriously
   intends to play.  That said, sometimes we've been reasonably
   circumspect; the Mile High Arizona was never built, nor has
   any mile tall building, even though we've had the capacity
   to do so (meaning the technical knowhow) for over a half
   century.

We'd be disallowing a LOT of things in that case.

We don't need more THINGS, we need to work on getting along.

   This is interesting.  I would argue that the exploration and
   conquest of a new frontier has the potential, if handled
   with care (see above for my pessimistic side's utterance on
   that), to heal divisions much more quickly than sitting in
   stasis.  The most often-visited case is the healing of
   North-South rifts following the Civil War occasioned by the
   opening of the frontier West (again, this worked for every-
   body except the Plains Indians--let's pray we don't find
   intelligent life out there, for its sake or our own).  But
   it's remarkable how struggle and shared sacrifice breaks down
   the petty walls of isolation.  I have a bajillion examples,
   most from this century and the experience of war, to point
   to--most notably, the camaraderie between French and German
   (and English) veterans of World War I.

   The question is whether or not we should gamble on the
   unknown or pour yet more money, time, and blood into fighting
   the same battles over and over.

So we should just give up and stop doing ANYTHING, good or bad, following this reasoning.

Why do you choose to twist what I say? I'm saying that feeding off paranoia
and taking the military or business approach is wrong. That's the greedy
route. Any noble space endevour needs to begin with a humanitarian purpose
and never be perverted by the military. They serve no "greater good" as far
as I'm concerned.

   I agree that it doesn't serve a greater good, but I disagree
   that it must begin with a humanitarian purpose.  Very few really
   successful paradigm shifts do--the Internet didn't, air travel
   didn't, space travel most certainly didn't, and that's just
   the things I can think of immediately.  Of those that did
   start with a humanitarian onus, three of the most notable--
   the Red Cross (I can't speak for Red Crescent), the League of
   Nations, and the UN--are the direct outgrowth of war, and
   despite their stated goal of preventing it, they were shaped
   by it and owe their existence to the array of forces at the
   end of a major conflict.  (Thus, the Security Council's five
   permanent seats.)

   The reason is that, at least since the end of the eighteenth
   century, only the state commands the unified capital and
   regulatory authority to underwrite massive new ventures.
   Once an infrastructure is laid and the opportunities shown
   to a sufficient number of people, then private enterprise can
   begin to enter this sphere.  But why would any private fund
   ever invest when greater profits can be returned without the
   risk?  Scientific discovery in and of itself just doesn't pay
   in the short term, so there's got to be an overriding reason
   other than monetary gain.

   Granted, this might change in the future, but we're not there
   yet.  Even a thousand Dennis Titos won't change it, IMHO--
   that's still only 20 or so Stealth bombers.

   best

   Lindsay