 Off-Topic / Debate / 10418
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 18:56:34 GMT

Perhaps people will start to realize the economic folly of living in the
desert....

I'd say that the folly is not so much living in the desert but trying to turn
the desert into an oasis capable of supporting millions of people in a manner of
living that is more suited to the humid east than to the Mediterranean climate
of Southern California (verdant green lawns, unlimited water use, etc., etc.)
I've never been to L.A. (though I certainly plan to),

First and foremost, it is incorrect to say that Southern California, or LA
is a desert. The beauty of So Cal is that we have variety. Parts of the area
are desert, but other parts are mountainous, swampy, rolling hills, and even
forested.  You err if you try to paint this area with a broad brush.  Now I
agree that many golf courses in Palm Springs are a clear waste of resources,
especially water, but the same could be easily said of Arizona or many other
areas. It is also not cheap to live here, I believe this area has the third
highest average home price in the world.  So our residents pay a high price
for great weather and opportunity.

but my opinion as an
outsider is that that city is an archetype of all that is wrong with our
consumer culture.

Finally don’t call it the consumer culture, call it capitalism, and that is
what makes this nation great.  True capitalism inspires individuals to
greater heights.  I always laugh at those anti capitalist crowd protesting
in their Birkenstock sandals, and Levi jeans.  If they really hated
capitalism so much, they would plant, pick, and loom their own cotton and
make their own clothes, or, heaven forbid, kill an animal for its coat.  Any
anti-capitalist who posts on the internet is the epitome of hypocrisy.

Scott