 Off-Topic / Debate / 10369
Re: Why the founding fathers limited government scope (was Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 15:05:15 GMT

If this is your assertion, then I say that its  a fine idea, in theory, but
suspect in practice.  What is the Libertarian take on public institutions
that benefit the public good?

All public institutions claim to benefit the public.  Many do more harm than
good.  The one that do good do so in a wildly inefficient way.  An independent
watchdog organization would spend your money better, and mostly help those who
wanted the help.

Who would fund such an organization, and how can it make any credible
claims of independence?

Such orginisations are normally funded by those they a supposed to police.

I don't deny the value, in theory, of the
organization, but I don't believe that we can trust it to be any more
impartial than existing watchdog organizations.

I agree.

For that matter, to whom
would such an organization be accountable?  The watchmen?

It requires a consipracy of epic proportions to prevent competitors from
entering the marketplace with truely safe planes.  There is no reason to think
that air safety would decrease.  I expect that with engineers freed to pursue
their thing, that technology would generally improve in quality and cost
efficiency.

I agree that no force is in place to keep safe planes out of the sky, but
I don't see how eliminating the FAA, for instance, would do anything to
improve air travel quality.

You are missing the point. Improving air safet is not the point. Too many
libertarians are concerned only with saving $$ - to give *themselves* extra
choice.

The seems to assume that the FAA is responsible
for increasing the number of flights per airport or for suppressing the
advance of safe technologies.  Do you believe this to be the case?  If so,
on what basis?

If [a road] wasn't safe, why would [the manufacturer] label it as so?  Why
not put a 50 MPH sign on that unsafe segment?  It would be cheaper and more
profitable for them if customers were not routinely dying while under
their care.

Interesting.  But how would such roads, and their upkeep, be funded?
Would we have to implement a series of toll booths?  For that matter, would
a road manufacturer even have to post a speed limit? Why wouldn't all roads
carry an implicit "use at your own risk" contract?

Indeed!

Are there, in fact, certain areas of public interest that
can only be served by a powerful governmental regulatory oversight?

I can't think of any.  National defense is what people typically trot out, but
I don't buy it. First, national defense could be much cheaper, and could be in
the hands of voluntary militia.

Like the KKK? Enforcing *their* kind of order in *their* neighbourhood?

And it would have the benefit of not having to be in place for very long,
since I'm confident we'd be quickly attacked and beaten, without a formal
and organized national defense framework.

or do we not instead *need* powerful
checks on the ability of corporations/individuals to overwhelmingly
act in their own economic self-interests when the public good (or even
public interest in their endeavors) are at stake?

We do not.  We want them to act in their own self interest.  They simply can't
be allowed to tread on the rights of others.  Libertopian court will fine them
if they do.  So they won't.

  More likely, since they'll be making far more money (in their own self
interst), they'll be able to afford much better lawyers and much more
extensitve litigation.  They do so now, of course, but at least we have, via
the government, some (admittedly sluggish) recourse in many cases.  I don't
see how that would be the case in the fed-free society that you propose.

   Dave!

I agree. The syetem you have today is flawed, but it is designed to help
everyone. Who would be able to take out an action in "Libertopian court"?

Scott A