 Off-Topic / Debate / 10344
Re: Rolling Blackouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 18:30:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article GD1J6y.EFL@lugnet.com, Scott Costello wrote:

Our idiot govenor Gray Davis has done nothing but spend
one billion dollars to buy power, this is the equivelant of puting a
band-aid on a bazooka wound.

One of the places it's being bought from is Washington State. As a result.
my power bill is almost double what it was at this time last year. :^P
Meanwhile, the local power companies are asking us to conserve (so they can
sell our power to CA)

Its all corporate graft.  Here in Houston (home of Enron, which has been
fighting a court order to sell power to California), our energy costs are
expected to triple this summer.  Why?  Even in August, Texas' month of peak
demand, our energy production is 25% higher than demand.  These corporate
pirates use the California energy crisis as an excuse to rape local consumers.
The news recently reported that the CEO of Enron earned a $7 million bonus for
last fiscal year.  $7 million, yet my energy bill is going to triple?! It's
still a rich man's world.

james

Forgive me for adding an adendum to my own post, but as I was driving back to
work from my lunch hour a few minutes ago, it just occured to me that, yes,
Enron really *is* building a twin for its existing skyscraper downtown.  Yes, we
have to triple consumer's electricity bills, No, we can't afford to sell to
California, but Yes, our CEO does deserve a $7 million bonus, and Yes, we really
do need a 2nd skyscraper. I guess skyscrapers are kind of like LD bulk orders;
there's always room in the budget for one more when you just *have* to have it.

james