 Off-Topic / Debate / 1034
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 07:22:37 GMT

On Tue, 25 May 1999 04:09:40 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 1999 08:02:36 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 1999 10:30:05 GMT, Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

  I'm looking forward to the Sacajawea dollar.  At least it doesn't look
like a quarter.  It's gold, like a Pound!

It might be pretty to look at, but I think it is a waste.  Sure, the coins will
"last longer, thus reducing printing costs associated with bills".   But who
really wants to carry around big, heavy dollar coins?  And it will probably be
big - size was supposedly one of the failings of the Susan B. dollar.  Too much
like a quarter.

Augh!  Quoting from <http://www.usmint.gov/dollarcoin/coinspecs.cfm>

The new dollar coin will be golden in color, not silver toned. It will also
have a "distinctive edge," which means that it will not display the reeded
edge as seen on the quarter or the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin. However,
it will be the same size as the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, which is 26.5
mm in diameter.

Why couldn't they have gone with a 27 or 28mm diameter?  That would have
been enough to differentiate the two coins!

At least it won't have the same 'reeded' edge as a quarter!  Hopefully, the
thickness and weight will be different from the quarter.  Although those
didn't help the SBA dollar.

Steve
see <http://www.usmint.gov/circulating/specifications.cfm> for more details
of current coins.

My mistake.  Same size.  I still think it is not needed.

-- Terry K --